Sunday, September 30, 2007

Boardgame

Summary:


Cashflow 101 has taught me many valuable lessons in real life.



Basically, money is just a figure in your head. It it what you think it is.

Many people think they should not think too much about money because they want to have a healthy attitude towards money. But I feel that most people I know really do not know well enough about money.



Money is a bad master. It lets you feel great about having it in your pocket and makes you crave more because of the excitement you get from your good purchases. At the end of the day, you have made the purchase and very soon after you will probably need to find money to buy something else - either an enhancement, or something else totally new.


I first heard about Cashflow 101 a couple of years ago when I chanced upon an article somewhere and registered for it. The date with destiny was on a Saturday afternoon and at Queenstown CC. There was a sharing session by one of the young guys and somehow, what he said connected with what I had been hearing from some other people before. However, sceptical about money-worldliness as I was before, I dared not think too much into such things. After all, insurance seemed to be more accepted thing to talk about during those times than about making money (for Christians).

Looking back I am still wondering how I could actually go sign up for the game even tho I would be sitting in the midst of total strangers! And playing board-games with them??? To make a long story short, I played the game but I could not emerge out of the rat-race. After the game, I had lived my next few years spending more money and investing in friendships, food and good cameras, handphones, PCs.... and courses. (But if the board had really been cheaper, I would have bought it actually. It's really something nice to have if you have the money of course.)

Anyway, another few years have passed since, and many things have happened. I suddenly woke up with this fear of becoming a burden to the people I love and also realised how much I wish to live freely on fresh air and sunshine, without being a burden to anyone - not even NKF, CCF, Ren Ci or St Luke, etc etc. I signed up for a few more courses and while on my way to a language class, I chanced upon this boardgame again. So I am playing it now. Will probably stop playing after my nieces and friends grow tired of it. Perhaps I will sell it like some others - secondhand - once they think they have mastered it. (Maybe same like Command&Conquer or Red Alert... ) But I would like to introduce this to my friends.... because this is a good chance to mingle around and have fun while you learn things together.

No comments: