Monday, August 07, 2006

Time flies in Saigon

Time really flies and it's end of Sunday.
Literally spent too much time recuperating - slept and slept and slept. Did not realise I was so tired or was it jet-lag? Anyway, feasted my eyes on the motorbikes and scooters in Ho Chi Minh city. Think I will add sound to my X9 when I get back.

Met a guy friend of Yen's cousin's bf. Very nice and humorous guy. I like him. He has also just graduated from his Uni and was offered a job in a bank. He will probably visit me in September-October. He is planning on coming to Singapore to do his MBA. He told me he has just managed to prepare $10k and asked me if it is enough. Sadly I had to tell him, "No." Perhaps the better term would have been "No Way". Then he said he has just gotten a job in the bank. Starting work in September. His boss has sort of agreed to grant sponsorship for his studies in part if his work is good. So I do not know how long will that take. But I am just very impressed by their interests in coming over to Singapore to study. Right now, he is already preparing for GMAT. The other is Uyen, Yen's cousin sister. She has also been saving up and will also probably seek part sponsorship. Her boss (she is working as boutique manager) from this Japanese firm seems ready to sponsor her too. Or has it been all but false promises by foreign bosses trying to squeeze as much as they can from these young and energetic people?

I realise just how small and selfish my world has been. We lead a life in a very "clean" Singapore. Everything is supposed to be transparent and fair.... equality, justice, prosperity. For the moment, life here still seems to run on a different tune. It is like grabbing your bike and go meet a friend for "Ca Phe" or fruit salad. Here, life is simple and everyone works hard. When someone needs help, (not necessarily a girl because it happened to be me one day when I had trouble pushing my bike up the ramp) a neighbour guy would come out from his home and offer help. Twice it happened, and twice I was offered help by neighbours. I think this is becos life is simple. Singapore has become sophisticated. Even if we wish we could help someone, we have to always think about "implications", "transparency", and many many other "what- if-others-also-ask-for- it" etc. I have to think from so many angles when I am in Singapore. One just has to. Anyway, life is really getting complicated.

No comments: