Saturday, September 16, 2006

It was my department's Family Day today at the beach. Fun day; hilarious at times. Except that the evening ended up somewhat with a little bit of disappointment because my section did not clinge the first prize and on top of losing that Challenge Trophy (which had decorated our wall this year), we will not be getting our $200 cash reward too.

Looking back now, I think it is ok because, deep in our hearts, we know we have already put in our hearts and spirits. Winning the trophy has just been a way to help us stay focus on a single goal so that we could get together and work on it single-mindedly. Now that all the intense energy on that focus has just dissipitated together with the trophy, I realise the trophy was just something like an emblem, which never was. Last year, we won by a hair, because we had only few players but some good fortune. This year, some of those good players who played for our side last year, are playing for the others. Next year, it is highly that will change too. Or I may end up having to play for some other teams or cheer for them. So I guess, it is all a self-deluding game. In the end, there will only be two types of people who will win:- The punters or organisers (depending on whether there is illegal betting going on secretly among them) and those playing just for fun and having a good time with fellow team-mates.

I think I finally got the picture:- Enjoying our team isn't about getting one trophy. The trophy may actually break up the team. The real test is whether we will always be able to come back and celebrate the misses just as well as the scores - if any.

It isn't about winning this year's game, or next. It isn't about Man U or Korea winning, or about being part of the winning team. These work great for people placing bets and making tons of money. I feel that the greatest thing in being part of the team and playing games together (without a care who, or how big the challenger is), is this: that for a time, we really have fun together and kick butts.

I think what's most important to me now is that we will always be a fun-loving and close-knitted community. Non-Exclusive and all-inclusive. After we have been "living together" for the last 3 years, I pray that we will go beyond punctuality issues, beyond gossips and backscratchers. While some of the mistakes we commonly do may not still not be acceptable, but I believe the long-term friendships should have some powers to deem them forgiveavable.

Come 2007, I hope we will continue and become a even greater team! If my boss will decide to let me remain and grow old with them ...

No comments: