Friday, September 22, 2006

This week has been rather routine. Except for 2 bowls of porridge with an old buddy.
Shall go again for sure. Reminds of the time I was small.
My family was poor when I was smaller. My mum was a hospital "amah" and she had to leave for work everyday while I went to school. That began when I had just started Primary education in Charlton School.

I remember that in the afternoons, after school, I would always have my lunches from a thermos-flask. It was nice to have porridge with "acha" or salted peanuts, or black olives. When we moved to Sim's Avenue and I started my secondary school education, then I could have instant noodles, fried eggs and roti prata. My dad had introduced me to Nasi Bryani and deep fried fish too.

I missed those days when I would cycle to school, especially in the rain. Fun! It's a different feeling, as I travel back from work everyday.

Can you remember what your childhood was like before you first got your car? How was your secondary school like? Or College? Did you have a buddy when you were young?

I had a few actually. But there is one since my childhood. We studied at Sennett Estate School together. Then when she went to Cedar, I went to Victoria. We both joined the bands. Somehow we would still be in touch with each other. When she got married, I was still a bumming layliolafer. She went into Financial Planning (Prudential) and now she is already planning for retirement with her hubby and children. How nice it would be to be able to retire so young! She has a different concept about life.

For me, I don't know if I can retire young. Or I suppose I will probably have to "re-tyre" instead. It's been such a long time eversince I had a nice bowl of porridge. I think it was really good therapy just to recall those porridge days.



No comments: