Sunday, December 02, 2007

Life is a joke you should try to enjoy while you can

Went for a haircut today, finally. Strange, it seems that now I have been counting the days. Since when I started counting, I can't remember.

Well, Life does seem like a joke sometimes. At least to me. It just seems that way, I don't know and that joke has been on me sometimes. Like I have said, "sometimes". Not everytime. But even when I see that the same joke has befallen somebody else and I see her crying her heart out, I don't think I could enjoy the joke either. Distasteful. Or sick...... Hmm, how do the angels look at it? How does God feel about it?

Sometimes I wish that things would go well for everyone, at least sometimes during the time when he or she will be well enough to enjoy them. What's the use of giving an elderly a 1-million-dollar toto windfall but let him watch his children fighting tooth and nail over the inheritance?

I attended a lesson (a trainer from Dale Carnegie Training Institute) just a week ago. He said that some people are desperately needing a break everynight. "There are 30m people hungry tonight in USA, and possibly every other night." We only remember the images of rich Americans through the TV or movie. 90% of 300 million Americans are the Americans we know of today. They are he "Ok" people, probably the "average American family" type with house, car, and a job. But there are 10% who are jobless, possibly homeless, and hungry. And not insured. They live in squatters, tunnels, and wherever to make ends meet. There are 30 million people hungry. From Winter to Summer. A population 6 times the size of Singapore.

Now, these are the sums. Consider India. 450 million people. 150 million more than that of USA.
Or a population 30times that of Singapore. The rich makes up 10%.

"In the United States at the end of 2001, 10% of the population owned 71% of the wealth, and the top 1% controlled 38%. On the other hand, the bottom 40% owned less than 1% of the nation's wealth."

How would you feel if you had nothing better to do but watch what the poor have to eat everynight? The reality is sad and too harsh that many people do not think about it. Wait until the government decides to raise fuel cost by 500%. In my country, we are probably doing it in a much better way. While I support the slight increase in prices at a pace "we" can cope with, I am beginning to worry about those who can't in the end and they fall out of the average "we". If I split Singapore into 4 parts. 1 million plus have the income means to live the Singapore "shop-till-you-drop" live. 1 million plus are too young or too old, and possible dependent on the 1 million plus who are asset-rich but heavy in recurring debts, waiting for a major catestrophe to wipe out their savings. That's why I am grateful to last 1 million plus foreigners who believe Singapore is a great place to try.

Anyway, maybe I have been working at the same damn place for too long! I have known some good folks who were joking with you at one time and the next thing, they were dead. Before long, I will probably need to apply and pay for a permit to bury myself. Life on earth is no longer a free thing... my thanks to Adam and Eve.

The bible told of the beginning when Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden (where everything then was FREE). Subsequently, the land on which Adam toiled with all his life will end up in futility. That was the probably where the free lunch offer ended.

No comments: