Sunday, June 11, 2006

For Boon Chye - a brother

Boon Chye was one of the big brother-mentors who had taught me a lot during my youth. He used to work for his father running a factory making foams and polystyro...foams (whatever). They are meant for sofas, cushions, mattresses and beds. I knew of his wish to venture into China, and that was way way ahead before talks about WTO. That was during my early Bartleyan YF days - before CG came and swept through BCC and probably Singapore.

He has always been like a big brother to me. I enjoyed talking with him. His tone of voice, his mannerism, big-hearted nature and his unique boyish laughter... I feel Jill must have been a very lucky girl to become Mrs Tay! He is one of those rare breed kind. Both Simon and I have also been very fortunate to have him like a big brother.

When I was first just starting out as a trainee radiographer in SGH, Boon Chye seemed to understand that I was having difficulties adjusting to my new work environment. He offered to bring me jogging with him down from Tampines to Bedok Central. It was a nice jog. We did not talk much because I just wanted to be silent whenever I wasn't happy. We ran from Tampines, round Bedok reservoir and then down to Bedok central. There we had A&W rootbeer float! Awesome! Especially after the sweat-out. Then he shared with me his work issues which prompted me to share mine. Not sure if he had planned it, but somehow his topic hit me and that was how he helped me see through mine.

There was also another time (just before final exams in Yr 3) and while celebrating a friend's birthday, he brought a bunch of the guys to visit me. (Because I wasn't in the mood to go with them. So he brought them to visit me.) I am very sorry if I had hurt him. I was the stubborn type and normally would not like people to change plans for me. But despite the sourly attitude that I had, he managed to coax me into going for a midnight spin with him. He offered to let me drive his family's new car. It was supposed to be a fun ride except that my heart wasn't there. I nearly crashed into another car. Anyway ... The night turned out alright. We went somewhere in Mountbatten (I think) where we had good supper and celebrated someone's birthday. Can't remember whether it was Yong Phong's, Sit Kei's or Simon's...

Looking back, I am really thankful for someone like him. Soon, he got married, and I also got so engrossed in my own work, I neglected to keep in touch with him. I believe the rest still are keeping in touch. For all the good times, I am also thankful for his words of advice and encouragement.

He had said to me that if I could lead a group of people to do the same, I could reach out to more patients than I could with just a pair of hands. That was probably something which helped me accept what I am today. Otherwise, I would still be running around the department with some gamebook in my jacket or dodging the arrows.

No comments: