Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I met up with 2 old pals finally. Interestingly, we all share the same surname!
I do not know if they have noticed it but definitely, the life and work experiences we've had are different. One used to be a deputy COO at a local VWO. Cool (and handsome) guy! The other is in some manufacturing line - producing masks for the impending birdflu! For one thing, we are still related because of the healthcare industry. I somehow feel that their future looks brighter than mine. Afterall, mine is just walking up and down a small corridor trying to justify my existence. Wonder when my head will finally roll off! Anyway....

I am very happy to have met up with them this evening because there was so much to learn. Full of interesting bits here and there and one learns what's happening in the real (and sometimes, cruel) world. Both were telling me about their bosses and ex-bosses and bosses' bosses, etc... Plus all the good old days when SGH was still considered civil service. But those times when, if compared to what we are having in a modern civilisation, were not so "civilised". Like what they said, "when the police were still in their shorts" and 1 bowl of prawn noodles would only cost 10 cents." But I realise, modernisation brings complications!

Hmm.. maybe I should be penning more about childhood days. By the way, I am a rather sentimental and nostalgic person. I always tend to recall - les I forget. Because I am so afraid I may forget. But when I remember, there's so much to recall. Used to kill cockcroaches, rabbits, fishes, ants, lizards, houseflies and mosquitoes ... and cats. I'm probably No.1 on their wanted list. Although I think they couldn't hurt me and my science teacher would have been happy about my zeal during biology class, I now live with regret. Sometimes I wish I could be a vegan, but unfortunately, I have already been too deeply cursed with a love for steak, sambal prawns and chilli crabs! Sedap!

Back to these Tans! The ex-COO is now GM at a company dealing with healthcare workers' skills training and certification courses. We chatted at McCafe and there, it dawned on me that again, I am stuck doing what I have been doing for the past donkey years. While my friend may be wondering how he and gal would patch back, I think the future in my occupation may actually affect how things will affect my family. For their sake, I will toil on and work the best I can. But deep inside, I don't think I am happy now. I love clinical work but managing well will also allow more people and patients to benefit at one time. For selfish reasons, I would rather just work and go home and mind my own business. Why should I be made to answer for someone else's problem???? They call it "ownership". Yea, and when that fails, they ask "you are AM for what?" I wish life were simpler. Back to the good old days when one could just eat fresh fruits from fruit trees!

Oh Adam!! Why you listened to EVE!!!!

No comments: