Sunday, November 05, 2006

Yesterday was World Radiography Day 2006 and it is the first to be celebrated in Singapore. This marked the beginning of a new era for Singaporean radiographers, I suppose.
I had volunteered to be photographer for the day's event at the carnival at Bishan Park 1. From 8am to 1pm.

There was also another event for my department to celebrate the occasion. Our HOD and Manager would also like to use the opportunity to share with everyone regarding the future plans for the department. You see, 2 years ago, we had a department-wide staff survey to assess how everyone felt about the department and the work they were doing, etc. We then had a retreat to plan and work on what we would like to see over the next few years from then. I was excited not because of all the things they have planned ahead for us, since I already knew more or less, the heart and soul of the organisation and its intentions, but because I understand the amount of painstaking planning and reorganising that everyone at the top has already been putting in to try to make the dreams come true. I am anxious how the folks will receive the news and what's cooking. But to be frank, after having witnessed how kindness have been "appreciated" by self-centred ingrates, wonder whether it is all worth it. Anyway, life goes on. There are 99 more to care about.

For the occasion, I had gotten myself a pair of telephoto lens too, which I bought at secondhand: Sigma 18-200mm. 3.5-6.3. The seller was an old gentleman Phillip had introduced to me. So, I took about 300 shots covering both the events, except for the part when the walk&jog was flagged off. I was too busy capturing the scenes at the carnival then. Hope at least 1 of the 2 other photographers would be there to catch the momentos. Unfortunately, there was hardly any coordination regarding phototaking.

Could not wait to check out the pictures which I had taken. Both sad (and shocked) a number of the shots were bad. Vignetting was terrible, especially at the near end. Group shots made it more evident. Should have tried stopping down and correct for the lens. Or was it the lens?? Shall have to send the lens back to the seller and check it out. But first, need to print out some samples to show him. By tonight. Hopefully its my technique and not the lens. Otherwise, wasted, Man!

Spent the whole afternoon salvaging some of the pictures. Cham!

Sis, if you are reading this, pls don't tell mother I had bought the lens hor. Costed me a bomb actually but I had thought I could bring it with me when I next go vacation. Also an investment in a potential sideline too. Will show you and Yen some nice pics if I have captured anything nice enough with this.

Better get back to work.

No comments: